Love Your Neighbor 2014
Love Your Neighbor supplements the resources of families whose holiday might otherwise be meager and serve as a clearinghouse, bringing together the generosity of the community and directing it in an orderly way to assist area families. Love Your Neighbor is made possible by community support and thousands of volunteer hours. Activity in the program starts in early November. The Neighbors’ holiday program responds to the needs of the season with new toys and clothing for children. Our Love Your Neighbor holiday program is a unique opportunity to share in a meaningful way. As a community-based program all gifts remain in the community to brighten the holiday of our neighbors.
Adopt A Family and Adopt A Senior 2014
You are assigned a specific family for which you will shop, and will be given each person’s first name, age, gender, size and most needed clothing items, colors they like and games or toys they are excited about. We provide the number of family members for those who wish to include a holiday meal. Even though you will not actually meet the family involved, many have found this to be a particularly personal and meaningful way of sharing Christmas.
Christmas for Kids
New clothing items are needed:
- Underwear -boxers
- Waterproof mittens
~~~ Infant to adult sizes ~~~
Common requests for toys are:
- Lego’s- both boys and girls (all building blocks)
- Art supplies for older kids
- Action figures
- iTunes cards
- Craft kits
- Remote control cars/planes
- Basketballs, soccer balls, footballs
- Science kits
- Anything princess and/or Dora
- Elmo toys
- Learning toys
Gifts for teens include:
Hair supplies, billfold, cosmetics, bath/body products, grooming items, gift certificates, basketball, soccer and football. Gifts certificates for teens.
Clothing (New Clothing)
- Waterproof Mittens/Gloves: All sizes from toddler to adult (especially boys ages 4-7)
- Hats: Infant, Toddler for boys and girls, Kids ages 4-8 especially girls
- Scarves: Infant, Toddler, Kids ages 4-8 especially boys
- Pajamas: Girls sizes 8, 12, 14 and 16, Jr. and Adult sizes for girls (warm pajamas are best)
- Underwear: 2T-4T girls and boys, boys sizes 8, 12, 14 and 16, men’s S and M, girls 14-16, women’s sizes 5 & 6
- Socks: Infant, Toddler, Boys size L, adult men and women, men’s XL, for girls sizes S, M and L
- Snow jackets and snow pants
- Clothing: Boys and girls sizes 5T,6,8,10
- Teen girl sizes 0-7
Used clothing can be donated to our Clothes Closet.
Money designated for Christmas toys, for Christmas clothing or food for Christmas is used to purchase those items. Donations may also be dedicated to support our intake staff that meet with each client family to determine eligibility and to capture client wish lists. Donate here.
A considerable number of volunteer hours are needed. If you can spare a few pre-holiday hours for a very rewarding program, please call.
Or call David at 651-306-2145.
Applications for Assistance
Applications for assistance will begin Monday, October 27, 2014. The last day to apply is Wednesday, December 10. Apply in person at the Neighbors office (lower level). To qualify you must live in Inver Grove Heights, Lilydale, Mendota, Mendota Heights, South St Paul, Sunfish Lake or West St Paul. Hours for applications are from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. and 1:15 – 4:00 p.m. There will be no sign-up on Friday, November 28 and Friday, December 5.
Si Ud y su familia necesita ayuda para la Navidad… (important dates in Spanish)
To receive an application you must bring with you:
- Picture identification
- A current utility bill, such as Xcel, Qwest, Comcast for November or December, The name on bill must match picture identification
- If you have children school age or younger, you will need to bring with a birth certificate for child, or proof of child from Dakota County or a letter from the school they attend showing child’s name and your name.