Neighbors’ Love Your Neighbor Holiday Program is a unique opportunity to share in a meaningful way. It supplements the resources of families whose holiday might otherwise be meager and serves as a clearinghouse, bringing together the generosity of the community and directing it in an orderly way to assist area families. Love Your Neighbor is made possible by community support and thousands of volunteer hours. The program starts October 24 and responds to the needs of the season with new toys and clothing for children and seniors. As a community-based program, all gifts remain in the community to brighten the holiday of our neighbors.
Adopt-a-Family and Adopt-a-Senior
You are assigned a specific family for which you will shop, and are given each person’s first name, age, gender, clothing size and gift suggestions. Even though you will not actually meet the family involved, many have found this to be a particularly personal and meaningful way of sharing the holidays.
To adopt a family or senior, please call 651.306.2142 (through October 23) or 651.306.2152 (beginning October 24).
Christmas for Kids
If you’d like to contribute to gift packages for those not adopted, all new clothing and toy donations are appreciated. This year, our greatest needs are gifts for kids – especially boys – ages 10 to 18. Suggested items include:
- AMC movie cards, Game Stop and iTunes
- Men’s active wear pants (size S-XL)
- Headphones and wireless speakers
- Flat iron and curling irons
- Art kits and sketch pads
- Science kits
- Sports team jerseys and sweatshirts
- Boys (age 8 to 12)
- Active wear pants (size 8-16, S-XL)
- Nerf guns, skateboards
- Girls or boys (age 6 to 12)
- Snow pants
- Waterproof gloves and mittens
- Winter jackets
- Sleds and scooters
In addition, other common requests include:
- Action figures
- Craft kits
- Remote control cars/planes
- Anything Elsa, princess or Dora
- Jurassic World toys
- Learning toys
- Cosmetics, bath/body products and grooming items
- Basketballs, soccer balls and footballs
- Waterproof gloves and mittens (toddler to adult sizes)
- Hats (infant to kids sizes)
- Scarves (infant to kids sizes)
- Pajamas (girls size 8-16, junior to adult sizes for girls; warm pajamas are best)
- Underwear (girls and boys size 2T-4T; boys size 8, 12, 14 and 16; men’s S and M; girls size 14-16; women’s size 5-6)
- Socks (infant to adult sizes)
- Snow jackets and snow pants
- General clothing (boys and girls size 5T, 6, 8 and 10; teen girl size 0-7)
New clothing, toys and gifts for the holiday programs can be dropped off at Neighbors during business hours. Used clothing can be donated to our Clothes Closet during the Clothes Closet hours.
Money designated for holiday toys, clothing or food is used to purchase those items. Donations may also be dedicated to support our intake staff that meet with each client family to determine eligibility and to capture client wish list. Donate here.
A considerable number of volunteer hours are needed. If you can spare a few pre-holiday hours for a very rewarding program, please call 651.272.1133.
Looking for information about applying for the Love Your Neighbor Holiday Program? Click here.